There are two phases to the experience of a camp: A preparation in Switzerland of at least seven months and then the stay of two to four weeks in the host country.
Preparation in Switzerland
The preparation period is very important to help participants get ready for the change of scenery.
From the date of the formation of the group up to departure, as a participant you have the following objectives:
- Contribute to a pleasant group life by getting to know the others and by working to common goal,
- Research data about the host country, the host partner, the aid project and aspects of travelling (administrative issues and health care).
- Organize group activities in order to raise funds to cover part or all of the project costs.
The preparation is organized by the person in charge of the group. Nouvelle Planète advises all participants to regularly take part in the organized group activities (meetings, information days, leisurely events, etc.) The commitment of each participant is needed to create a good group spirit.
Nouvelle Planète organizes some preparation and exchange meetings to participants of Youth and Adult Camps and members of Existing Group Camps are also welcome on these occasions. The framework for activities during this whole period is provided by Nouvelle Planète.
Stay in the Host Country
Each group is directly related to one country and a specific project within that country. All projects are based on a request from local partners of Nouvelle Planète. The population of the village in which the project is located welcome the participants and show them their way of life.
The camps are taking place in intervention countries of Nouvelle Planète. Given its vast experience, the organization can count on a great number of contacts and has been working for many years with these groups, associations or centres that have proved to be active and reliable partners.
In the village, a local group of young people is organized to work with the group from Switzerland on the different tasks related to the project. The days are filled with the following activities:
- Project-related activities: simple tasks such as carrying bricks, painting walls or planting trees. The work on the project site is symbolic but is a good way of exchanging ideas with the local group while sharing their everyday life.
- Activities to discover the area and exchange with the locals: outings and trips such as to the fields with the villagers, visiting their homes and sights in the project area or possibly in another part of the country.
The programme of the stay is planned by the coordination team of Nouvelle Planète and the local partner who are reachable 24/7.