There are two phases to the experience participating in a camp: A preparation in Switzerland of about 6 months and then the stay of three weeks in the host country.
Preparation in Switzerland
The groups are constituted in April during an information event. As of then, the groups have 6 months to prepare for the journey into an unfamiliar environment.
From the date of the formation of the group up to departure, as a participant you have the following objectives:
- Contribute to a pleasant group life by getting to know the others and by working to common goal,
- Research data about the host country, the host partner, the aid project and aspects of travelling (administrative issues and health care).
- Organize group activities in order to raise funds to cover parts or all of the project costs.
In order to accomplish these objectives, participants take part in regular group meetings about every five to six weeks that are planned by the group. They should be held in a place that is more or less central for all participants, or in the different regions taking turns.
Nouvelle Planète provides the framework of this preparation and a reference person is present in some meetings to advise and inform.
All members of the group are asked to participate actively in group activities (meetings, information days, leisurely events, etc.), as well as the days organized by Nouvelle Planète.
Stay in the Host Country
Each group is directly related to one country and a specific project within that country. All projects are based on a request from local partners of Nouvelle Planète. The population of the village in which the project is located welcome the participants and show them their way of life.
In the village, a local group is constituted to work with the group from Switzerland on the different tasks related to the project. The days are filled with the following activities:
- Project-related activities: simple tasks such as carrying bricks, painting walls or planting trees. The work on the project site is symbolic but is a good way of exchanging ideas with the local group while sharing their everyday life.
- Activities to discover the area and exchange with the locals: outings and trips such as to the fields with the villagers, visiting their homes and sights in the project area or possibly in another part of the country.
The programme of the stay is planned by the coordination team of Nouvelle Planète and the local partner who is reachable 24/7.